Salar de Uyuni: Cycling on 10 billion tonnes of salt

22:46

Salar 047
I set off out of Uyuni and after 20kms found myself on the edge of the world's largest salt flat: Salar de Uyuni. Here there are heaps of people scooping up heaps of salt. A bit further you come across the Salt Hotel which is a building made out of salt. If you happen to be a 4-wheel-drive car enthusiast this is surely the place for you.

Other than that the view is just of flat white salt. Five hours later I arrived at the Isla Inca Huasi, the island in the middle, where I camped for the night. Then in the morning I did it all in reverse back to Uyuni. This time with the wind behind me. It is an incredible place. Wierd really. I got a sunburnt face despite a ton of sun cream. After the first few hours the novelty factor wore off a little for me and I got my book out and read it as I was cycling along.
Salar 050
I attempted to take some interesting perspective photos but really you need at least 3 people to effect that "through the legs" shot, or the "racing car shoe". I tried a little me stood on the saddle but it didn't work!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *